Monday, January 26, 2009

The Muse is Back!

I have been away from the blog-world for far too long. Lots of things going on in my life in the past year have caused my muse to absolutely desert me. One thing I've been dealing with is clinical depression - or as my doctor phrased it, a "blue funk". I cry at the drop of a hat, have not been effective in my day-job (the one that pays the bills), and haven't been moved to create a thing - which in itself causes a bout of weeping when I think about it! But, I've been taking medication for about 6 months and just recently began to create again.

I was strolling through a local dollar store a few weeks before Christmas and came across these delightful shadow-box frames. They're about 7 x 7", with a 1 & 1/2 inch deep shadow. They were only a dollar each, so I bought three. One actually made it to the family Christmas gathering as an altered piece of art for our gift exchange (in my rush to get to the gathering, I forgot to take a picture of it - that's how last-minute it was).




The other two languished a bit until my muse was feeling stronger. They began life as white-painted frames with rather unattractive and generic artwork behind the glass. Now, altered, they are lovely pieces that I gave to my mom (the red/pink one) and oldest daughter (the blue/beige one). I hope they inspire them as much as creating them inspired me!






It was a bit of work getting the frames apart for the alterations, but I'm glad I persisted. One item of note - the inks I used (both dye-based and liquid chalk) didn't dry well on the frame's surface, so I embossed them with clear detail powder. I was hesitant to remove the glass in these for fear of breakage (they were glued surprisingly well for a mass-manufacture item), but the heat from the heat gun didn't damage the glass at all - but be sure not to apply heat directly to the glass, just in case.

9 comments:

Sue said...

I wish you'd taken a picture of the first one you did too; but these two are GORGEOUS!! I can see a trip to my $$ store! I'm so glad you're feeling better and that your creative muse is back!

Robin said...

Oh Flo-ey!! I am so happy to see you creating again. I missed you and your art!! The frames are gorgeous!!! I must go see if my $ store has anything like this. Keep creating...you do it so well!!
hugs

Pink Elephant Soapery said...

Hey Flo! Beautiful! Glad you are back! Now go and participate in the OWOH give-away with your beautiful art! Go to my blog and enter my give-a-way!

Anonymous said...

SILLY! You can still take a picture of that FRAME! LOL! We can provide you the opportunity to visit it and snap a pic! xoxo! Love you lots, sistah! MUAHZ!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Flo!!! Welcome back!! The projects are so beautiful! I love how the frames become the artwork! I think it is such a good sign that you feel like creating again. God bless you, darlin'... hugs! Purnima

Anonymous said...

Flo, they are beautiful and I'm so happy to see you back to creating!!

Art By Wanda said...

These are really beautiful!!!! So glad you are doing better.

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

WELCOME BACK, Flo!!! I'm glad you found an answer to your illness and have come back with flying colors! Look at this beautiful artwork you've created again!!!! Thank goodness for medication that can help those of us with clinical depression . . . Glad you're back!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Your framed art pieces are gorgeous! Beautifully created. I am pleased that you have come to my blog so now I may visit you as well on yours. Sorry to hear you have been feeling down but you are certainly on the right track. Nothing like mixed media art to let you get out of your doldrums. Be well, it is nice to meet you! Hugs, Gayle